“Burrundulla” was established almost 200 years ago by the Cox family in Mudgee. In 1814 Governor Lachlan Macquarie ordered Lt. William Cox of the N.S.W. Corps to build a road across the Blue Mountains from Penrith to Bathurst, a distance of 101 miles, after learning of the agricultural significance of these fertile plains.
With a team of convicts numbering 30, Cox completed the task in just 6 months, an engineering feat not likely to ever be achieved again.
In 1821, William’s 4th son, George Cox ventured to Mudgee with a son of William Lawson and settled “Burrundulla”. Story has it that on one cattle drive west, the stock were attracted to the rich floodplains at “Burrundulla” and kept turning back despite the efforts of the stockmen. The property today covers around 2,000 acres on the eastern edge of the town of Mudgee.
In 1993 the decision was made to plant 50 acres of red grapes and we entered into a contractual arrangement with the Rothbury Estate to provide grapes to them over the next ten years. This decision proved invaluable as three eager and energetic Coxes and their ageing, apprehensive but supportive father, set about the preparation of the soil and procurement of supplies.
In 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1999 respectively 25 acres of Chardonnay, 20 acres of Shiraz, 40 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon, 14 acres of Merlot and 6 acres of Semillon were planted.